Taking the Canon 5D Mark II for a spin...

I picked up my new Canon 5D Mark II last week, just in time to take it for a test spin at Second Saturday in downtown Sacramento. (Just a reminder of the specs: 21.1 megapixel, full HD video, ISOs to 25600!)

I popped on my 50mm f1.4 lens and headed off to see a friend's art show. (She does beautiful chiaroscuro style oil paintings. See them at http://www.catherinecrable.com/)
(this one shot at 6400 ISO.)

One of the first features I was dying to try was the HD video. Shooting video on the 5D was not very intuitive, so I had to pull out the manual. But it's pretty awesome! First you enable Live View, which is accessed through one dedicated button, a vast improvement from my 40D. And you can use any lens when shooting video, but you do need to focus manually. I found that a bit tricky to do the first time with the lens opened all the way to f1.4. But I'll keep practicing.

I must say, figuring out how to convert and edit the footage isn't very clear. I ended up Googling it and downloaded a free program from squared5.com. Then edited and combined the clips in Windows Moviemaker. But I'm sure there's a better way.
Check out this bit of footage along I Street:

And some stills:


And in Barton's Gallery, the ballet dancers mirrored the sculpture in the window:

In all, using the new 5D Mark II is familar and the learning curve isn't too extreme. I'll just look forward to learning how to shoot and edit video to augment my still photography. I just love the flexibility of super-high ISOs. The body has the same weight and dimensions as the previous 5D, making it a very comfortable fit in my camera bag.
Look for some comparison test shots soon.



No comments: