'Out of the Blue' wins best of show



Inspired by last month's speaker at Professional Photographers of Sacramento Valley, I decided to play around with one of my all-time favorite photos for this month's print competition. The crazy thing took Best of Show! So I'm thrilled, since it's just the second time I've entered a print to be judged by the panel.

This was an image I took of my daughter Mindi late one evening a couple years ago, lit by a lone flood floodlight (the kind you put in your yard!). Inspired by Char Crail's work, I pulled at the subject's hair with the blur tool in Photoshop, desaturated the lit side of her face a bit and popped her eye. The graduation in the lighting of the background is all natural--no filters--from the blue floodlight.

The judges found the image mysterious and dramatic, and a departure from what is normally in the portrait category. I just love the blue. What do you think?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Congratulations Kristi! I am not surprised. What ever you do, you do well. I love the photo. I'm so glad the judges did too.

Ruben Edgardo said...

Congrats Kristi ... that pic looks great. Really cool!!!

au said...

yippee! you found your nich in this life. now, i was impressed by your home sewn bathing suit. i knew your creativity had more depth to it. watch out bob s! love you.

Mecaela said...

I love this picture of Min! Wow you did such an awesome job with this. Congratulations! Your work is nothing short of exquisite.

Edna said...

Kristi, nice what you did w/the foto. Thanks for being there for me and sharing foto talk and a friendship, so much I can learn from you.