The camera gives you cover

Normally, I hesitate to insert myself in the middle of a situation for fear of intruding. But with a camera in hand, I feel like I have a cloak of invisibility and can go places I never usually would.

For example, I have a slight fear of heights. But if the shot I want requires climbing onto a precipice and dangling over the edge, I’m there. It’s as if my camera has special powers to protect me. Actually, it's just that I don’t notice my fear because I’m intent on getting the shot.

I recently found myself in Paris during Fashion Week. Inspired by the event, my daughter and a friend who were traveling with us got all dolled up and headed for the Ponte Alexander for a photoshoot. We had costume changes and everything. Now, normally I would have been intimidated by shooting there, among the crowd, since all I had with me was my little Canon G9 travel camera. Who was I to pretend to be a fashion photographer with that little gadget?


Amazingly enough, once my model was in place, thirst for the shot took over and I had nary a nerve the whole time. Passersby even stopped to watch and shoot a few frames themselves!

Sure, I would have loved to have my studio camera and the shots could have been better, but the shoot was great fun. I think that’s what’s most important -- recognizing a rare opportunity and seizing it. And if any of those passersby were giggling at me behind my back, I’ll never know!

1 comment:

minDawg! said...

yeahhhhh dude! get the shot!