A fall color explosion in Yosemite

Recently, Fred and I stole away to Yosemite National Park, hoping to see some fall color. I've never been to the park at this time of year before, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Brilliant yellow leaves were popping out everywhere; warm sunshine-filled days made the sky a vibrant blue.
Inspired by a friend's recent trek to Half Dome, we set out for Vernal Falls along the Mist Trail. Three hours straight up convinced us to come back by a more moderate route, so we returned on the Muir Trial, which you see at left. It was so beautiful that I stopped short in my limping tracks several times to haul out my camera. After a "refreshing" rain, the skies cleared, revealing a starry field I hoped to capture digitally.

Up well before dawn, I fiddled around trying for an acceptable exposure. I did have moderate success painting the cliff face with my flashlight (see left). What an awesome scene -- and unbelievably comfortable for late October.








With the recent rains contributing to the runoff, even Yosemite Falls--usually quiet at this time of year--put on a spectacular show for us. And Mirror Lake was filling up.













The only hardship was staying in the "heated" tent cabins -- the only affordable accommodations in the valley available at the last minute. It was rather chilly at night. Good opportunity to cuddle up!

All in all, it was a wonderful respite. It was so invigorating and inspiring, I'm afraid I went a little crazy:

(Of course it's fake -- you think I'm insane?)


Visit YouTube for a slideshow with more of my images of Yosemite in Fall, complete with music. Enjoy!

No comments: