Lunch at Nepenthe

Our trip to Carmel in June was humming lazily along as we lounged on the patio of Nepenthe restaurant in Big Sur. I wondered why my beet salad came on a bed of bread crumbs.

While I was trying to summon the will to reach for my fork, BAM! -- a blue jay swooped in, snatched a bread crumb and was gone in an instant. Evidently I had ordered his favorite dish.
I was ready for his next pass, and he was kind enough to smile for my camera. I thought it was hilarious, though Mindi wasn't so keen on dodging birds between bites of crostini.

After lunch we stopped at one of my favorite spots on the coast: Pfeiffer state beach, a 2-mile crawl off Highway 1. My dreams of dramatic sunset shots blew away with the sandstorm, but not before Mindi obliged me with a roll down the sand dune.

No comments: